Debra L. Weisman
DVM, MS, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Dr. Debra L. Weisman is a Connecticut native. She attained her undergraduate degree from the University of Connecticut and went on to receive a Master’s of Science in Physiology from Clemson University. Dr. Weisman received a DVM degree from the University of Georgia in 1995. Her post-graduate training included an internship at Veterinary Specialists of Rochester in New York and a surgical residency at The Ohio State University. She worked as a staff surgeon at the Veterinary Referral and Emergency Center in Norwalk, Connecticut for 6 years, prior to taking the position of medical director and surgeon at VCA Cheshire Animal Hospital, where she practiced from 2005 – 2012. Dr. Weisman established Newtown Veterinary Specialists, along with her husband, in 2011.
Dr. Weisman attained board certification in small animal surgery in 2001. She is a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Connecticut Veterinary Medical Association, the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, and the Society for Veterinary Soft-Tissue Surgeons. Her interests include gastrointestinal, cardiothoracic, oncologic surgery, and pain management. Dr. Weisman lectures locally and nationally and has authored numerous scientific journal articles on a variety of surgical topics. She works closely with area oncologists in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of aggressive cancers and is actively involved in clinical research.
Debra L. Weisman’s pets include a golden retriever, Finn, and two cats, Pat and Pepe. When not at work, she enjoys spending time with her husband, Scott, and stepchildren, Brian and Katelyn, along with hiking, road biking, learning to play golf, and cooking.
- Anders KJ, McLaouglin MA, Samii VF, Chew DJ, CAnnizo KL, Wood IC, Weisman DL. Ectopic Ureters in Male Dogs: Review of 16 Clinical Cases (1999-2007), J Am Anim Hosp Assoc, 2012;48(6):390-8.
- Weinstein, J, Weisman, DL, Intraoperative Evaluation of the Larynx Following Unilateral Arytenoid Lateralization for Acquired Idiopathic Laryngeal Paralysis in Dogs, J Am Anim Hosp Assoc, 2010;46:241-248.
- Au, JJ, Weisman, DL, Stefanacci, JD, Palmisano, MP. Use of computed tomography for evaluation of lung lesion s associated with spontaneous pneumothorax in dogs: 12 cases (1999-2002). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006:228:733-737.
- Milovancev, M, Weisman, DL, Palmisano, MP. Foreign body attachment to polypropylene suture material extruded into the small intestinal lumen after enteric closure in three dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004:225:1713-1715.
- Yoshida, K and Weisman, D. Case Challenge. J Vet Emerg Crit Care, 2003:13(1):35-36.
- Weisman, DL, Olmstead, ML, Kowalski, JJ. In vitro evaluation of antibiotic elution from polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) and mechanical assessment of antibiotic-PMMA composites. Vet Surg, 2000:9:245-251.
- Weisman, DL, Smeak, DD, Birchard, SJ, Zweigart, SL. Comparison of a continuous suture pattern versus a modified simple continuous pattern for enteric closure in dogs and cats: 83 cases. J Amer Vet Med Assoc, 1999:214:1507-1510.
- Weisman, DL, Henricks, DM, Eberhardt, DM, Bridges, WC. Identification and content of insulin-like growth factors in porcine oviductal fluid. Biol Reprod. 1992:47:126-132.
- Weisman, DL. Concentrations of insulin-like growth factors I and II in porcine oviductal fluid. 1991. Master’s Thesis, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina.
- Weisman, DL. CT Imaging of the Thorax. Proceedings 2007 American College of Veterinary Surgeons Symposium, Chicago, IL, October 2007.
- Weinstein, J, Weisman, DL, Pameijer, C. VetClot: A Novel Hemostatic Agent, Proceedings of the 5thAnnual Meeting Scientific Meeting of the Society of Veterinary Soft Tissue Surgeons, June 2007.
- Weisman, DL. Surgical Techniques of the Small Intestine. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Veterinary Conference and Alumni Reunion, University of Georgia, April 2005.
- Milovancev, M, Weisman, DL, Palmisano, MP. Foreign body attachment to polypropylene suture material extruded into the small intestinal lumen after enteric closure of four dogs. Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Meeting Scientific Meeting of the Society of Veterinary Soft Tissue Surgeons, June 2004.
- Weisman, DL. Surgical Techniques of the Small Intestine. Proceedings of the 14th Annual American College of Veterinary Surgeons Symposium, Washington, DC, October 2003.
- Weisman, DL, Smeak, DD, Birchard, SJ, Zweigart, SL. Comparison of simple interrupted versus a modified simple continuous enteric closure: 83 dogs and cats (1991-1997). Proceedings of the 8th Annual American College of Veterinary Surgeons Symposium, Chicago, Il, October 1998.
- Smeak, DD, Weisman, DL. Circumcostal gastropexy-surgical technique. VLS Videos, Compendium-Circulation, Trenton, NJ, 1998.
- Smeak, DD, Weisman, DL. Colposuspension-indications, surgical technique, expected outcome. VLS Videos, Compendium-Circulation, Trenton, NJ, 1998.